Campbell, Los Gatos, San Jose, and Saratoga, Ca
As an adult, ultimately, your health is your responsibility. This also applies to your oral health. You choose whether or not to maintain a good regimen of oral hygiene. If you are a parent, you are also responsible for the oral health of your children. Your habits of oral hygiene—good or bad—will serve as a model for your children to follow.
Take ownership of your oral health today, by following these tips.
- Brushing and flossing – Brush your teeth twice daily, using a soft-bristled toothbrush and a fluoridated toothpaste (just look for one that has the American Dental Association seal of approval). Also use floss once a day, preferably before bedtime.
- Eat right – Your regular diet should include lots of fruits and vegetables. Drink plenty of water, limit your intake of sugary foods and drinks, and consider raw fruits and vegetables as snacks as an alternative to sweets, crackers, and chips.
- No tobacco – Tobacco in any form can compromise your oral health. We all know about the general health risks associated with smoking, but smoking or using chewing tobacco both greatly increase your risk of developing oral cancer, as well as eventually doing damage to your gums and teeth and making it more likely you develop gum disease. Even using an electronic cigarette can have harmful effects on your oral health.
- Visit your dentist – The American Dental Association recommends that every person sees the dentist at least twice a year for a professional cleaning and thorough examination of his or her mouth and teeth. Children should start going to the dentist when they turn one year old, or after their first baby tooth emerges from the gum line—whichever comes first.
- Preventive care – In addition to your at-home regimen of oral hygiene, consider additional preventive measures such as sealants, which coat hard-to-clean teeth in a material that resists tooth decay; and fluoride treatments, which can be administered in the office or at home.
In general, when it comes to your oral health, prevention is the best defense. If you are ready to take ownership of your oral health, then the office of Dr. Paul Lippi, DDS, is here to help. Contact our office at (408) 354-5535 to schedule a consultation and learn more about the services we offer.
Dr. Paul Lippi, DDS, is proud to serve patients living and working in Los Gatos, California, and the surrounding areas.